Thursday, October 23, 2008

Because I can't keep it a secret forever...

Drew and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year now. We have succeeded several times, but unfortunately my body has failed each time resulting in miscarriages. Just recently, my obstetrician sent me to a perinatologist, who ran some lab work.

The diagnosis? Insulin Resistant Diabetes due to underlying Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Bad... yeah. Except the insulin resistance is completely reversible. I have more blood work in a couple of weeks, and then I will start a medication called Metformin. If I don't do something about this, I run a very high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

What does this mean? TOTAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!! I will have to completely change the way I eat. Too many carbs mixed with Metformin can make me very sick. I need to lose some weight. I won't go into how many pounds that is... we have set a reasonable goal. I gained so much weight in the last 18 months, and now it has to come off. I hate looking in the mirror, and I am sure Drew is embarrassed by me, so by losing weight, everyone wins! I need to exercise more. The walking and playing with the ponies is no longer going to cut it. Now I have to get serious. Some friends of mine have recommended Jillian Michaels '30 Day Shred' to get me started. 30 minutes a day guaranteed to make me cry. I can't wait (uh huh).

So now you know. If you see me with potatoes or bread in my hands, call me on it!!! I may get mad, but I will thank you for it eventually!!! =)

No comments: