Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Such a little monster....

One thing about kittens is how fast they grow. It seems like every day they learn something new. Our little one is growing up. Not only has he doubled in size the last week, but he has gotten a lot of personality. Instead of wobbling around to get from point A to point B, now he hops. If it moves... he attacks it. If it doesn't move, he climbs it. He sucks on the bottle as if his life depends on it. Zero to 30 cc in 5.4 seconds. If he were a sports car, he would be a best seller! He crouches behind pillows in stealth mode and waves his tail back and forth like a panther hunting. It makes me smile.

I still haven't completely decided on a name. He still acts like a little vamp, he even bit my neck yesterday as he was curled up under my hair on my shoulder, which is now recently his favorite spot. I had been tossing the name Jasper around, but a friend of mine suggested a Volturi name, which might be a little more fitting... I will have to do some research. You know how people spend months naming their unborn child? Well, for me, naming a pet is sort of the same thing. Not an easy process. When a kitten is very very young, they just lay there. Then, as they get older, more and more personality surfaces and I can name them accordingly. Sure I could name it Fluffy or Tiger or something generic. But that isn't always the easiest thing to do. Better to let them earn a name I say.

Belle is starting to get curious about the baby now. Always lurking and waiting for her chance to get nose to nose (and then attack, I'm sure). I still have to keep the two separated. At least for another couple of weeks when I can have little one tested for the icky stuff, like Feline Leukemia and FIV. Both very nasty illnesses. If it turns out that Kitty has them, I won't toss in the towell. Nope, too late for that. But he will have to be a barn cat... granted a very spoiled one =).

He has learned to crawl out of his nest, not that he stays there a lot, but still making it difficult on me when he is. It's a pretty good set up if you ask me. A nice big laundry basket with a heating pad, soft towells, stuffed toys. But now he likes to crawl over the side. He wants next to his Mommy (me), and usually that is fine. But when I am cooking or cleaning he shouldn't be underfoot. I dreamed his tail got vacuumed off the other night. Popped of like a lizards tail. And as much as I would love him sleeping in the bed, he just isn't big enough yet (can you say steamroller!).

He can be so sweet one minute, and then a total terror the next. I think he has split personalities if you ask me. Sitting on my chest gazing lovingly one minute, then trying to eat my face the next. It was cute at first... then it started to hurt, so now I have to scold him. He will figure it out... eventually.

Next step... teaching to eat on his own and litter box training. So far, he isn't that bright. It should come natural, and he should be doing it already. Nope. Couldn't be so lucky. With this one it is going to take some work. I know a few tricks. This isn't my first time bottle raising a critter. I will just have to go to the back of my mind and dust off the cobwebs.
Nothing but cute, y'all. =)

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

omg... seriously the cutest kitten EVER! i want! lol

Anonymous said...

He is just so cute Brandi! I still wish that I could come a visit you and the little monster right now! :) Hugs Haidi