Thursday, October 2, 2008

The girls have arrived!

One of the best things about living in the country has got to be the horses. I haven't always lived in the country, but I was blessed at a very young age with equine friends. My mom was a true horse lover, and Daddy always teased that I was 'brainwashed in the womb'. My mom once told me her story of her desire to have a horse when she was growing up.

She had it all figured out. Mom was raised in a house full of sisters. My grandfather did a lot of woodworking, and had a large shop outside of the house. Mom's plan was to clean a section of grandpa's shop, and use it as a stall to keep her horse in. How would she dispose of the 'waste'? Well that was the best part! She would just vacuum it up. Unfortunately, my grandparents didn't share the same dream as my mom, and mom never got her horse. Until I came around.

Looking back, I think my parents were really smart. They found something that would teach me responsibility. Something to boost my confidence. Something to keep me away from the boys when I got older (yes, it really worked!). I spent more time at the barn than I did at the house. I spent hour after hour grooming, cleaning stalls, riding. I learned that animals need care, and my happiness revolved around the happiness of the horses. I found that I had a talent with them. I prepared for horse shows, competing on the weekends, and on the days that I just wanted to get away, I would hop on barefooted, and ride off into neverland for the day, coming back only when I absolutely had to.

As I got older, boys did eventually come into the picture. But, in all honesty, I was a late bloomer. When I hit adulthood, I moved around a little bit, trying to find myself, leaving my equine friends in new homes. That didn't last for long. Horses are in my blood, and I needed to have them close by. And so I decided right there, that unless I absolutely could not, I would have my horses. And I do. I have 2 right now. (and Drew has one, but this isn't his story!) Both are registered Quarter Horses. They have excellent bloodlines. Both will have a home with me for as long as I can, if not the rest of their lives.

Decision to Invest
'Onique'

Imastorminpocopower
'Stormi'


Welcome Home, Girls. Glad to have you back!

No comments: