Thursday, October 23, 2008

updates...

It has been a week or so since I have updated. For that, I apologize. But what I can't help is nothing really interesting has happened lately. We met up with my sister and her husband on Saturday night at the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival. We had a lot of fun. The people there are definitely worth watching! Such a drunk fest, and all those rednecks really start to lose whatever 'klass' that they might possess. One guy in particular for example. Drew and I were at a food vendor, waiting on fresh potatoes to be cooked, and this guy, severely inebriated popped up beside us. The vendor was working at the grill in front of giant turkey legs and meat kabobs. He was wobbly on his feet, making the scene even more comical.

Drunk dude: Can I taste the leg before I buy it?
Vendor guy: Uh, it kind of doesn't work that way...
Drunk dude: Why not?
Vendor guy: I can't really take a piece off of a whole turkey leg.
Drunk dude: Why not?

(by now, Drew has already walked away, laughing. I had to stick around to see what happened)

Drunk dude: Just a little piece of skin... come on man.
Vendor guy: Fine, this piece is over cooked anyway (and then he gives me a strange cross eyed look)

Drunk dude starts with cooking questions to Vendor guy.. How do you know when it is cooked? Are you the one who cooks it? So you are the grill guy? Is that what you do, grill? And it goes on and on, until finally he begins discussing`the chances of this vendor catering for him, and the vendor quickly sends him to a very large (and I do mean VERY) man in the back of the tent who is sitting at a table peeling potatoes. Can you say pass the buck? I don't blame him... but it gave us a giggle.

Also at the festival were some other vendors and booths. Someone was even trying to sell duct tape purses. Unfortunately I missed that one. The food was cold and overpriced, but tasty as far as fair food goes. The weather was awesome! All in all, a good time. I hadn't been in about 10 years, and if I don't go for another 10 years I think I will live, but it was so nice hanging out with my sister!

What else? Oh, the monster!!! Wow he is growing up fast. We officially named him 'Jasper', which seems to be good, considering he acts more vampiric by the day. He plays all of the time now, everyday figuring out something new. My peaceful nights are now long gone. Yesterday, he learned to climb onto the bed by himself, so about the time I doze off to sleep, he climbs up and starts playing with my face, or chewing on my toes. When I am wide awake, he plays for a bit, then curls up in a blanket and goes to sleep, leaving me alone, struggling to find sleep once more. Then play time starts up again about 4 a.m. I put him on the floor, he gets back up... over and over and over. He and Belle are still separated for a couple of more weeks, but one day, he just might be looking at a closed door at night!

He still drinks from a bottle twice a day. This isn't normal, but it makes me happy. He eats food by himself out of a bowl, but he refuses to drink water, so for now the bottle is necessary. He screams bloody murder and runs around chasing me when it is bottle time, assuming the position on my lap before attacking the bottle with such fervor that you would think his life depended on it. He chews on it and growls at it, and then sucks down about 40 cc's of formula (now mixed with water, ha ha) in about 15 seconds. Done, then a few big burps and he is off like a rocket to play land again. I have been trying to keep his growth progress with photos, but here the last few days, he moves too fast, making for a really blurry picture. So I get him mostly when he is down for a nap. Just in the last week, Jasper has grown into his head, so he no longer looks like a big headed alien. He is starting to mature into a cat. Oh it goes by so fast. Drew and I are planning on building him a kitty condo soon.
Not this one exactly, but something he can climb and scratch on, which will save furniture. Drew is good at stuff like this. A couple of years ago, he made a giant jungle gym out of PVC pipe for our bird Ivy. She loves it!!! We attach all kinds of toys for her, and I change them out so she doesn't get bored. Anything to keep a really loud bird occupied!

Nothing planned for this weekend as of yet. Maybe work on the front fence, maybe ride... who knows. It is supposed to rain tonight (YAY!!!) and we so desperately need it.

No comments: